BCREPC Media Release 2013-01-003
February 9, 2013
For Immediate Release
Update: 12:30 p.m. shelter update
BARNSTABLE – The Barnstable County Regional Emergency Planning Committee (REPC) announces the following status of the regional shelters and the procedure for those seeking transport to the shelters.
1. The Sandwich High School regional shelter will close.
2. Clients currently at the Sandwich High School shelter will be transported to the Falmouth High School shelter.
3. The Falmouth High School shelter will be upgraded from a community shelter to a regional shelter.
4. The Dennis Yarmouth Regional High School regional shelter will maintain its current status.
5. The Nauset Regional High School regional shelter will maintain its current status.
The Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority (RTA) will provide transportation to expedite the movement of clients to and between shelters.
Anyone in need of transportation to the regional shelter system should contact the RTA at the following number: 508-385-1437. (Police and fire personnel make take the information and relay to the RTA.) When calling for transportation be prepared to provide the following information:
1. Name and phone number of person requesting transport
2. Exact address with town and cross street if possible
3. Client mobility–does the client require a walker or wheelchair
5. Medical needs including the use of oxygen
6. Will the transport of a pet be required
For those seeking sheltering , the American Red Cross suggests clients have enough of what they need for three days and suggests bringing the following items to the shelter: medications, glasses, emergency contact card, flashlight, sanitation/personal hygiene items, cell phone and charger, emergency blanket, extra cash, and pet food/kitty litter for those with pets (caged or on leash).